Recipes

Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Marathon Training

My friend Rachel asked about my marathon training, so here it is :)

This was my marathon training, the basic format:

Mondays: 3-4 faster mile run + 1/2 weights
Tuesday: 6 miles- easy / pm Yoga class
Wednesday: 30 mins elliptical + kettlebell weight work out
Thursday: 6 miles, alternate hills or speed work
Friday: Some weeks, off, some weeks elliptical + weights (depending on how I'm feeling)
Saturdays: Long run 
Sunday: OFF, maybe Yoga (if I missed Tuesdays),

I ended up doing bike or sprints up my hills occasionally on Wednesdays as cardio, or sometimes just weights at home.  Most Fridays I did weights and no cardio.  Yoga did not happen as often as I would have liked, and my goal is to get back into doing it at least weekly.

My longest long run was 23 miles.  

I also had no problems with my knees during training until my "taper"- started to kind of bug me.  Should have paid more attention to that!  I'm now on a running hiatus so that I can run my NEXT marathon ;)


and ps:i plan on setting up a "post marathong training" next time around.  Apparently, its kinda important!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you posted this- I think this is exactly what I need to get motivated. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a marathon- but I think having some structure and a schedule will really help me get back into working out!!! And I love mixing it up- I think that was one of my problems was that I was just trying to run like 5 miles, 5 days a week and I got so bored!! I love your idea ofdoing faster runs, compared to easy runs too. Anyhoo- thanks for posting this!!! Getting back into running!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all the different types of runs keeps it interesting for sure! And my long runs are always different places, fun way to check out new areas :)

    ReplyDelete