Recipes

Thursday, September 1, 2011

sprouted lentils


One of the thing Raw Foodist are really into is sprouting foods. I have to admit, when I first started looking into the raw food thing, this part really scared me! It looked waaaaay too complicated. But the idea is that, when the grains are sprouting, they are starting to digest themselves, therefore making it easier on the human body to digest. Make sense? Kinda, not really, I know. I thought the same thing. But my friend Patty (she's my Raw food partner in crime these days) told me it was really easy to do lentils, and I should just give it a try. So I did.

First- soak a cup of lentils over night.  Be sure to at least double the water- those lentils will get big!!!

The next morning, drain and rinse the lentils.  I then laid them out on a towel covering a baking pan, covered it with another towel, and stuck it in a "dark place" ie. under my dining room table.  I kept it there until that night, where I rinsed them then re-laid them out.  The next morning I noticed some little baby sprouts!!!!  I let them sit another day and that night I put them in mason jars and in the fridge.  So yummy to snack on and in my salads!  And so good for you! (and for some reason I cannot understand, they are less calories this way than when cooked)

I tried to sprout some quinoa but they smelled funky. Guess thats part of the process, but wasn't a fan so not going to try that again.  Anyways, if you're thinking of sprouting, give lentils a try. So easy and so yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment