Recipes

Sunday, November 20, 2011

GF, SF, Vegan Persimmon Muffins


Persimmons. What to do with persimmons?
I had never even tried one before we got them in our CSA box last year. I ate one- and they're pretty good! But honestly, it never sounds good to just eat as a snack. So, I looked up recipes.  Last year I  found a recipe for cookies, and they were delicious! For some reason I was having trouble this year finding anything that suited me, so I made one up :)
 I used my Better Homes & Garden cookbook to help guide me, but it looks nothing like the original plain muffin recipe anymore :)

You will need:
2 cups of all purpose gluten free flour
1 1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/2 cup of honey
3/4 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp flax seed
1 tsp chia seed
1 Tbsp water
2 persimmons (about 1 cup of puree)
Walnuts (optional)
Coconut sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)

First, warm your oven to 350*

Then cut the tops of your persimmons off, and if you have a hard core blender like a Vita Mix, you are done :)  Throw them in and blend them up! 
Once blended, I added the water, chia & flax seed.  I blended them up a little more, then poured it into a measuring cup and let it sit.  The chia seed and water replace any egg needed and act as a binder.  The persimmon puree replaces the oil to make a moist muffin :)

                                                                     (my little helpers!)

Next I sprayed my muffin pans with Coconut Spray Oil.  Found this at Whole Foods. I was stoked :)


Then, mix together all the ingredients.  I did the dry first, then added the persimmon mix.  It solidified a bit, so Izzy had some trouble pouring it in.....


But we managed.  Once all the ingredients are mixed in, put in some crushed up walnuts.  Then divide into muffin tins- I filled up 18.  Then sprinkle coconut sugar on top of each one and stick in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes.

They turned out gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside, just how I like 'em!  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment