Recipes

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

GF/SF Applesauce-Oatmeal Cookies

I attempted to make some gluten free oatmeal cookies by just replacing the flour in the recipe with my gluten free flour baking mix.  As yummy as they tasted, they did not come out so well- too thin and breakable (and Izzy would freak if her cookie broke).  A friend had given me an excerpt from "Bake Deliciously!" Gluten and Dairy Free Cookbook by Jean Duane, Alternative Cook (I need to look into this book!) and it has tips on how to convert a traditional recipe to gluten free.  So I sat down and convereted my oatmeal cookie recipe and got this- and they turned out delicious!

Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup honey (or brown sugar, but I had to keep it sugar free as well!)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/8 tsp baking soda (I'm not good at math.  So there you go)
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (threw that in for good measure!)
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/4 cup of Gluten Free Oats
1 egg
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
3/4 c. brown rice flour
1/4 c. cornstartch
1/4 c. quinoa flour
optional: 1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips.

1. Preheat oven to 375 (unless you have a ghetto oven like me, I had to put it on 400)
2. Mix butter with an electric mixer
3. Add the honey, cinnamon and baking soda.  Mix till combined
4. Beat in the egg & applesauce.  Mix till combined
5. Beat as much flour as you can (this was not a problem at all for me, I think because we had honey instead of sugar)
6. Stir in any remaining flour and the oats
7. Stir in cranberries and chocolate chips if you so desire (dont' know why you wouldnt' desire it though, its delicious!)
8. Drop dough on un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 8 - 10 minutes (again, unless you have a ghetto oven.  Then it takes about 12 - 14)

Makes about 24 cookies.  Eat & Enjoy!

I even have the nutrion facts for ya (if you don't add the chocolate chips and dried cranberries, it takes the calories down to 99.  But i LOOOOVE chocolate, so thats not going to be an issue for me):

{Recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens}


Nutrition Facts
homeade
oatmeal applesauce gf choc. cookies
Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
Calories139
Total Fat4.8g
      Saturated Fat2.3g
      Trans Fat0g
Cholesterol16mg
Sodium29mg
Carbohydrate23.9g
      Dietary Fiber1.6g
      Sugars13.9g
Protein1.6g
Vitamin A 2%Vitamin C 1%
Calcium    0%Iron 2%




Iron 2%

No comments:

Post a Comment