Recipes

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!

So, as I mentioned before, I recently read Born to Run and have been trying the whole vibram/barefoot running thing. In the book they talk about this super drink made out of Chia that the Tarahumara tribe drink.  My blog friend Jessie posted on her blog how she made the drink, and it looked so easy I had to try it! 

You take 8 ounces of water
mix in 1 tablespoon of chia seed (I bought it in the bulk section at Sprouts)
Let it sit for 5 minutes
Then stir, stir, stir, stir, for about a minute
Then let it sit another 5 minutes
Then I add some lemon juice and local honey (its supposed to help with allergies so I'm squeezing it in any way I can!)
Then drink!
Viola!


If you are a texture person, you may not be into this drink, but for me its AWESOME.  Kind of like a non color fruit smoothie.  And it seriously gives me energy.  AND fiber.  LOTS of fiber (just warning you all). I've been drinking it every afternoon with my afternoon snack and its seriously been the boost I need!

I looked up the info on, so thought I'd share what I found if anyone else was interested:

FOOD SUMMARY

Nutritional Target Map Estimated Glycemic Load
2.83.4Fullness FactorND Rating

NutritionData's         Nutrition Data's Opinion
Opinion
Weight loss:
Optimum health:
Weight gain:
The good: This food is very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Calcium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber and Manganese.
Caloric Ratio Pyramid Estimated Glycemic Load
36%53%11%
CarbsFatsProtein

1
77
mildly anti-inflammatory
Estimated Glycemic Load

Inflammation Factor



Read Morehttp://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2#ixzz1MTEhvjo6

No comments:

Post a Comment